I got Prototype on Saturday and have been playing it on and off to relax. It captures the feeling of being a super-hero more than any actual superhero game has managed in the past. The experience of running and jumping around the New York skyline is like nothing I’ve played before.
The game follows the angsty exploits of Alex Mercer, who woke up in the morgue one day with crazy super powers and no memory (original, I know). Not co-incidentally a virus has infected parts of the Big Apple, turning people into zombies, and a private army has been called in to wage war. Never mind the zombie apocalypse, all Alex cares about is finding the people who gave him powers and punching holes in them.
The following are some of the crazy things that I have done so far:
- Driven a tank through/over busy NY traffic
- While running at great speed and being chased by a huge mutant creature, I picked a rocket launcher off the ground, jumped 10 stories into the air, spun around and rained rockety goodness down upon my pursuer
- Stood calmly on a tank while it raced around trying to shake me off, flattening many cars and innocent New Yorkers in the process
- Thrown cars at helicopters
- Thrown the burning shell of a helicopter at another helicopter
- Karate kicked helicopters until they explode
- Punched tanks until they explode
- Grabbed an enemy soldier, run up the side of the Empire State Building to the very top, and threw the soldier out to sea
- Thrown zombies at a helicopter until it exploded
This Penny Arcade comic just about sums it up.