The first trailer for Watchmen is out and despite the fact that it features Billy Corgan it looks pretty okay. Due to it’s depth, complexity, subject matter and density, Watchmen was always going to be a hard movie to make but with Zack ’300′ Snyder directing, you can at least expect it to be stylish and true to the source material. If you’ve never heard of the comic:
- Watchmen is set in 1985 (when it was originally written), in an alternative history United States where costumed adventurers are real and the country is edging closer to a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.
- Watchmen depicts superheroes as real people who must confront ethical and personal issues, who struggle with neuroses and failings, and who (with one notable exception, Dr Manhattan, seen above) lack anything recognisable as super powers.
- It’s the bible, Qur’an and Tanakh of comics rolled into one. Written by Alan Moore, who is the most critically acclaimed comics writer ever, and also a super intelligent, cantankerous, old, English wizard.
- Alan Moore also wrote V for Vendetta in the 80s, and asked to have his name removed from both movies because he believes that his scripts were written for a specific form [he also sees Hollywood as a monster desperately stealing ideas from any available source]
- Watchmen is also the only graphic novel to appear on Time Magazine’s 2005 list of “the 100 best English-language novels from 1923 to the present”.
- If I ever get a tattoo, it will probably be of the Hydrogen atom symbol on Dr Manhattan’s head seen above
Edit: There a good interview with Alan Moore here.