When I first got my holga I went through two rolls before I had it all figured out, so here are some pro-tips for anyone who’s recently or about to get into Holga-ography.
- Always get 400 asa film
- Always underestimate the available light
- Always use the flash indoors or even outdoors if it’s dusk
- Get in the habit of winding the camera on after each shot
- Ignore the aperture switch, it does nothing
- The yellow flash isn’t that different from the white flash. I use it most of the time because it just makes the colours a tiny bit warmer
- Cheap 120 film can cost half as much as the high quality stuff, make sure you ask the about the film before you buy it. I reckon the cheap stuff is just fine
- When loading or removing film, do it out of direct sunlight
- Nice, closeup headshots of your friends always turn out the best. Midrange and landscape photos mostly end up looking meh.
I’ll add more tips as I think of them.